Monday, September 17, 2012

Dear Lexington, Thanks for the Grape Leaves

It was August 17th, 2012. The skies were partly cloudy and the late Bob Marley was singing "So Much Things To Say" through my car speakers. The 5/3 Bank comes into view and suddenly the city of Lexington is upon me. Morale was high but nerves were on edge. This was college, for God's sakes, the Big Leagues, and all I can think is, "It's about time."

College is a place where you are viewed, legally, as an adult, but no one really expects that much out of you. It's a truly beautiful balance that lasts for a precious four years, and I'm expecting these years to fly on by. I was also assuming that if one thing could slow me down around here, it was going to be the food.

I knew I was going to get by, but I never expected the food here to be good. To my surprise, this city is chock-full of Mediterranean, African, and Korean cuisine that is affordable and within walking distance for any student living on campus. South Limestone, the main street that borders North Campus, holds Han Woo Ri, a comfortably small Korean restaurant, King Tut Mediterranean Grill, Sarah Mediterranean Grill, and Sav's Grill & West African Cuisine. All of these restaurants are within a just a few blocks north of Campus. You can expect to walk down South Limestone and pick up a delicious and filling meal for anywhere from $7-$10. This is a deal that no hungry college student should ever pass up.

Today I managed to snag the Stuffed Grape Leaves Appetizer from King Tut Mediterranean Grill and I was not disappointed. The cook seemed absolutely delighted to bring me his masterpiece and I was glad to accept it. I walked out of there with my nerves much more at ease and my stomach full. It's about time for me to start discovering the remarkably diverse and delicious cuisine that this city has to offer.

I'm ready, Lexington! Bring me your culture!



1 comment:

  1. I really like the majority of the article, but the introduction to me is really misleading. This either needs a different introduction or a stronger conclusion to bring the article full circle, ie This is college, and all I can think now is bring me your culture. Some sort of anecdote like that. haha my comment probably doesn't count since I don't go to your school...

    ReplyDelete